Project Responder Police Lights HeaderProject Responder Ford Truck header

Sub-Navigation

Front Driveshaft


With so much lift, the front driveshaft was in no shape to handle the angles and not wipe out on the transmission crossmember. Even with the modified crossmember to allow for more clearance, the angle is just too steep for a driveshaft outfitted with basic u-joints at each end. We needed something that can easily handle the steep driveline angles as well as hold up to the heavy duty workload that will demanded.

project responder
With the slip yoke removed, the tube is cleaned with a wire wheel brush on an angle grinder.
project responder
After a coat of Cast Blast, it looks great!
project responder
The slip yoke after being cleaned and painted.
project responder
The output flange for the 1365 transfer case, cleaned, painted and ready to install.

Our new front driveshaft was created from the original factory installed shaft which has been slinging grease for over 13 years. We sent the unit to Jess at High-Angle Driveline where the pros removed the yoke which would normally mate at the transfer case and they replaced it with a heavy duty CV joint designed for one ton trucks. However, this required us to have to remove the yoke from the transfer case and replace it with the correct flange to allow the shaft to bolt on. As luck would have it, we found that our t-case has 31 splines. Normally, according to Jess, they usually have 32 splines. Not to worry, Jess and his crew were able to save the day by finding us the flange we needed to make the swap possible.

Now there was only one problem left, appearances. The paint that was applied at the shop looked great, but it only masked the layers of grease and the poor condition of the metal below. We went ahead and took the driveshaft apart at the slip yoke. We then used a grinder with a heavy duty wire wheel brush to remove as much rust and scale as possible. We even used a dremel to get into the hard to reach spaces around the u-joint. Once cleaned, we gave it good coating of Cast Blast paint. Thick and durable is how you could describe it. After making it look brand new, the driveshaft was reassembled and installed on the truck.

To get the driveshaft on the truck, we first had to remove the yoke from the transfer case. This required a 1" impact socket and an impact wrench to remove the retaining nut. Once loose, the yoke was removed, the dust washer and seal were set aside. Then the new flange yoke was slid into place, the seal and washer replaced and the retaining nut re-installed. Now, we simply bolted on the CV joint to the flange and set the u-joint into place in the yoke of the Dana 60.

Now we have a bulletproof, hardcore, high-angle driveline from the transfer case to the front axle. Be sure to check out the data on the rear driveshaft.

 
Sponsored by:

Footer